Life happens. But you can’t let that stop you from going places. If you ever find yourself in a sticky situation with your car, and you need to take it to a workshop, you can go prepared with these tips.
- Make sure you are using a qualified, reputable mechanic. Ask friends and family members for recommendations.
- Do some research online to gauge what might be wrong with your vehicle. The more information you can give the mechanic, the better.
- Make an appointment. Just in case. A good tip is to make the appointment for mid-week. Mechanics are likely to be less busy and will give your vehicle the attention it deserves.
- Take someone along who might ask the questions you forget to ask.
- Having your car fixed can be very expensive. Request a detailed breakdown of the costs before they start working on your vehicle. You might be paying for things that aren’t necessary.
- Don’t simply nod in agreement – you are allowed to ask questions. The most important questions normally relate to what caused the problem, the cost of the repair and the time it will take to fix the car. Also ask about a workmanship guarantee.
- Read any quotes or authorization forms before you sign.
- If you prefer to get a second opinion, do not tell the second mechanic what the first quote was. This way you can be sure they remain objective and honest.
- Test drive your vehicle when the repairs are done, before you make the final payment.
Go prepared, but trust the qualified, professional mechanic. Your safety and a running vehicle is most important, so if you feel unsure, give us a call and we’ll help you find a workshop.